Est. 1887 | Asheville, North Carolina
"Our Past, Our Present, Our Future."
The Historic Cotton Mill building was constructed in 1887 and is one of the oldest buildings in Asheville. It was purchased in 1894 by Moses and Caesar Cone, who enlarged the mill and built several houses along the hillside above (“Chicken Hill") to create a large workforce. During the busiest days at the Cotton Mill about 300 people were employed. For many years the mill was a thriving place that produced denim and flannel.
The Asheville Cotton Mill continued operation until 1953. Decades later, in 1995, a fire burned down almost two-thirds of the building. The south wing and square smokestack are all that is left, and that south wing building is what is today known as The Asheville Cotton Mill Studios.
When you visit it isn't hard to imagine what the cotton mill was like back in it's heyday; a brief tour of the building reveals original brickwork and beams that make this building an important piece of Asheville history, as well as a work of art in it's own right.
Over the years the mill has changed hands a number of times. The current owners, Jannette and Rich, have been Asheville homeowners for over 15 years, and have been visiting for more than 20. They are active in the Asheville community and are members of Asheville Greenworks, RiverLink, the Preservation Society of Asheville & Buncombe County, Friends of Town Mountain, the North Carolina Arboretum, the River Arts District Business Association and the River Arts District Asheville.